The volunteer Director, Website Editorial Content, establishes PCF’s website editorial strategy and sets its overall direction. The Director is accountable for all cancer information, medical, non-medical, and editorial content published on Pet Cancer Fund’s website, makes final decisions on articles to be published and ensures all content follows the desired tone, style, and is factually sound. The Director ensures regular stakeholder identification and needs analysis are carried out to ensure the content meets the needs of a varied audience, including pet owners and veterinarians, in English, French, and Spanish. The Director also acts as the website champion, providing oversight to all website marketing and communications efforts to maintain the medical resource’s integrity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the definition of the content planning framework and approves the short-, medium-, and long-term content development strategies that direct the website editorial team’s work and seek to establish PCF as a recognized, trusted source of pet cancer-related information.
- Establishes the editorial direction for the website and its various sections that include blog-style content about the latest cancer advancements, animal health, wellness topics, etc., in addition to maintaining and updating the resource listings, clinical trial information, and core medical content of the site.
- Approve the publishing calendar and all content posted on PCF’s website to ensure it aligns with the strategic direction, supports the achievement of the organization’s objectives, and will be of interest to targeted stakeholders.
- Establish, implement and continuously improve PCF’s comprehensive publication process, including editing, peer review, and fact-checking steps, and establish parameters to ensure all content is timely, objective, and factually accurate and ensures content can be efficiently published.
- Work in close collaboration with various business units, including Revenue and Marketing and Communications to provide direction and advice and ensure the website meets multiple strategic objectives, such as supporting the overall marketing plan and promoting fundraising efforts, while always preserving the overall integrity and purpose of the website to be a trusted information source for pet owners.
- Direct the coordination of legal and transparency requirements that adequately disclose PCFs obligations as a not-for-profit, charitable organization.
- Lead and motivate the team and ensure that business and project plans are effectively translated into specific individual and team goals to ensure these objectives’ achievement.
You are a creative and strategic thinker with a passion for publishing informative, fact-based web content. You regularly seek opportunities to grow an organization’s website presence and take pride in overseeing the publication of a large volume of high-quality, accurate information geared toward a specific audience. You are a great leader seeking to guide a team of writers to support the organization’s website editorial objectives. You have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a medical discipline/health-related policy or specialty;
- Significant and progressive experience writing and reviewing articles for known journals;
- Experience in carrying out health or scientific-related research for the purpose of writing and publishing fact-based, informative articles;
- Experience serving on the Editorial Board of a recognized journal would be considered a vital asset;
- Previous experience working in a medical-related field would be considered an asset;
- Excellent skills in editing and proofreading web material;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong management and leadership skills and a proven ability to develop talent across an organization;
- Effective project management skills.
What we provide you with
This leadership role is a generational opportunity to build a best-in-class worldwide organization that will make a difference in millions of animals’ lives in the decades to come. The challenges of building an umbrella cancer agency from inception will provide learnings across the board while expanding your network of contacts that will be of assistance to your advancing private or non-profit sector career.
- This position is virtual and must reside within North America.
- This volunteer position requires a time commitment of approximately 8-10 hours per week and more at times.
- This role could potentially lead to other senior positions within the organization or its subsidiaries.
- The organization requires a long-term service commitment of at least one year at the confirmation of placement.
Contact/How to apply
Please forward your resume/CV and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org