As our volunteer Media Relations Manager, you will carry out media relations initiatives to generate press coverage and attain “brand and product” visibility for all that we do. Being a creative thought leader, you will manage and drive our approach to media and community relations across the organization to maximize results. You will manage an internal team of Media Relations volunteers, work with external PR agencies when contracted, and assist in teaching our consumer-facing volunteers how to communicate our message accurately and authentically.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement an integrated, organization-wide media relations plan to broaden awareness of our non-profit sector while building PCF’s identity across key stakeholder audiences;
- Create a public relations plan that cultivates and enhances meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, public officials, and key influencers;
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the sector and the organization. Work with staff to recognize public relations opportunities and solutions and help define and execute appropriate strategies to support the organization’s vision;
- Prioritize media opportunities and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed;
- Manage and coach PFC media spokespeople for successful media interactions that help promote and positively impact the organization;
- Cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the sector, as well as PCF’s programs, special events, public messages and other projects;
- Manage relationships with any 3rd party communications related vendors or consultants;
- Help mentor and develop volunteer staff using a supportive and collaborative approach.
You are a results oriented, go-getter who is well-connected with the media in Canada. You have:
- Post secondary education in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or English.
- 5+ years of successful experience in Public Relations, Media Relations, or Corporate Communications (internal and external).
- Expertise in driving public relations programs, events, and platforms.
- Excellent communication, messaging, and storytelling skills.
- Experience developing new ideas and campaigns across today’s media and marketing channels.
- Strong project management skills; highly organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills; ability to build and develop relationships across levels.
What we provide you with
Volunteering with PCF in this role is an opportunity to contribute to building a best-in-class worldwide organization that will make a difference in millions of animals’ lives in the decades to come. The challenges of building an umbrella cancer agency from inception will provide learnings while expanding your network of contacts that will be of assistance to your advancing private or non-profit career.
- This position works virtually from anywhere in Canada or the United States.
- Expectations regarding a time commitment are in the range of 6-8 hours per week on average.
- Flexibility in hours of availability will be necessary during campaigns and periods of high public outreach.
- This volunteer position could potentially lead to other roles within the organization.
Please forward your resume/CV or any questions regarding this role to firstname.lastname@example.org