The volunteer Scientific Editor will review and edit newly developed content drafted by our Scientific Writers to ensure the accuracy, authenticity, and translation of complex information is of the highest quality for the pet owner in their time of need. Our Scientific Editor role is vitally important in our effort to become the foremost valued source of cancer education, awareness, and information for pet owners.
Scientific Editor Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit content produced by our writing team for proper contextualization (accuracy) of scientific information while adhering to the organization’s approved style guide and tone of voice
- Research and review applicable subject matter (when necessary) to inform/familiarize yourself with the topics, issues, and challenges of the scientific writers
- Constructively assist writers in improving their work for the benefit of the project
- Correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, word usage, and terminology.
- Revise poorly structured sentences and paragraphs to improve readability and conciseness.
- Contribute proposals or recommendations that may improve organizational efforts to build and maintain core website content for the pet owner
- Ensure our final product is understandable for the pet owner regardless of their education or knowledge level.
You have developed excellent skills writing and/or editing content of a scientific nature while pursuing your PhD. that may have included post-doctoral work in your field. Your writing and/or editing experience will consist of source and plagiarism validation, along with an understanding of effective contextualization of scientific data for a lay audience, which is vitally important to our work towards being a valued source of education, awareness, and information for pet owners. Always a team player and respective of timelines and deadlines, you have:
- D. in the life and /or animal sciences or a health-related discipline that applies to these roles
- 3-4 years’ experience writing and/or editing scientific-related content, including published, peer-reviewed papers
- Strong history of translating research or technical findings into concise, engaging, and actionable content written for specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Ability to identify, review, and critique topic-specific research literature
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once while maintaining attention to detail
- Excellent oral communication skills
What we provide you with
This is a fantastic role for anyone in academia to explore a career in the private or non-profit sectors. You will develop excellent networking and strategy skills and continue to know the latest industry trends and developments.
- This is a volunteer position and the time commitment is approximately 4-6 hours per week.
- This position is virtual and completed from anywhere in Canada or the United States.
- This role may require additional hours from time to time and your flexibility to adapt is a must.
- This volunteer position could potentially lead to other roles within the organization
Contact/How to apply
Please forward your resume & at least two samples of your writing or a list of your published manuscripts highlighting your author position to firstname.lastname@example.org